Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A quick book review...

I'm not getting very far into the learning 2.1 'stuff'... but I do find blogging therapeutic... now there's no pressure with the libraries learning web 2.0 programme anyway... I have been having a bit of a problem with my wireless internet connection... a lot of building and other activity next door and all around me so I've had to resort to using the ethernet cable...


I've been reading a bit lately - because I can - because I'm on holidays (YAY!!!!) - so I thought I'd review a book called Greywalker by Kat Richardson. The library I work at assigns the genre "horror" - that doesn't sit well with me... it doesn't really describe it properly. "Paranormal fiction", "Urban fantasy mystery" and "Supernatural suspense" are genres used by the author and others who write in the same style, and I'd have to agree it says more about the book than "horror"!!!


Harper Blaine (private investigator) is assaulted and left for dead. Well, she actually dies for 2 minutes. When she comes too in the hospital she knows something has changed.

She sees things that can only be described as weird-shapes emerging from a foggy grey mist.

But Harper's not crazy. Her "death" has made her a Greywalker - able to move between this world and the mysterious, cross-over zone where things that go bump in the night exist. And her new "gift" will take her into the world of vampires and ghosts, magic and witches, necromancers and sinister artefacts.



This is the first book in the new Greywalker series, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The protagonist is believable and likeable - opinionated, tough and she can really kick arse - the people around her are 'quirky' and 'eclectic' to say the least... I like the way the author deals with the supernatural 'world' .. by the end of it, I was wishing it was another "book long"!!! I've already reserved the next book in the series, Poltergeist


I can actually see a television series in the 'wings' - being a "Buffy", "Angel", and "Charmed" fan - is that sad at 52? - going on 53??!!! - nah, what's sad is that we had to wait for men with a 'different' vision of women, e.g. Joss Whedon - Buffy, Angel ..., Jerry Bruckheimer - CSI, Cold Case, ..., James Cameron - Dark Angel ..., Sam Raimi - Xena ... to be accepted by the male 'television moguls' before women were given strong protagonist roles - and of course, women writers, creators, directors, producers, just wouldn't have been given the same opportunities!!!! Now that's sad, I might have seen these sorts of programmes from a much younger age!!!!! I NEED a HIT of gratuitious violence that I can deal with....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read that book too and loved it and hope there is a television series made.